There isn’t always enough time to pack a healthy snack or breakfast when you’re running out the door, or sending the kids off to school. And in times like these, you need to be able to rely on healthy, ready-to-eat foods. Unfortunately, snacks and packaged foods aren’t always the healthiest bites out there. Even “health foods” like granola bars and yogurts can be turned into a high calorie, sugar-laden snack if you aren’t careful.
Snacking can be part of a healthy diet, fueling your body and keeping your metabolism humming along – as long as you pick the right snacks! But it can get a little confusing with all the different yogurts, granola bars, breakfast shakes, and everything else out there. So here are some of our favorite prepared snacks that you can feel good about eating on the go!
1. HappySqueeze Organic Smoothies – You can’t start your day off much better than with one of these all natural super smoothies. Just tear off the top , squeeze, and enjoy! It’s the easiest way to get your kids (or yourself) to eat breakfast, and it also makes a great snack any time of the day. With 5 delicious flavors to choose from, like Yumberry, Superbanana (my favorite), and Orange Pumpkin, and for 80-130 calories, these smoothies top the list as the healthiest on-the-go snack!
Happy Squeeze smoothies are full of nature’s best organic ingredients like yogurt, fruit, and Salba - ”nature’s most nutritious grain”. I’m not sure if that’s true, but Salba does have some impressive stats: one serving is equal to 8x more Omega-3s than Salmon, 30% more antioxidants than blueberries, 15x more magnesium than broccoli, 3x more calcium than milk… and the list goes on! With as much protein as an egg, as much fiber as you’d get from a bowl of cereal, and loaded with omega 3′s and antioxidants, these smoothies give you the nutrition and energy you need to be at your best!
2. Chobani Greek Yogurt – This is one of the best tasting Greek yogurts on the market, and there are a lot of them popping up lately! Flavored or plain, this thick, creamy yogurt provides you with nearly 1/3 of your daily intake of protein, and is less than 150 calories. Mix it with high-fiber cereal for a quick breakfast or snack!
3. Clif Z bars – These vegan and organic bars are actually made for kids. They’re sized a bit smaller than normal Clif bars, which makes them a great portion size for a snack. They come in 6 flavors, like S’mores and Chocolate Brownie, which kids will love and parents can feel good about sending their kids off to school with. Each Clif Z bar has 120-140 calories, 2-5g fat, 80-170mg sodium, 3g fiber, 10-11g sugar and 3g protein. A delicious and balanced snack to keep you full and focused!
4. Gnu Bars – Each bar has 12g fiber from the “Gnu High Fiber Blend™,” which is simply whole rolled oats, organic whole wheat flour, wheat bran, organic kamut, psyllium, flax, and millet. That’s nearly 50% of your daily intake of fiber! They come in 7 different flavors, including Banana Walnut and Cinnamon Raisin. Each bar also contains 130-140 calories, 3-5g fat, 30-95mg sodium, 12g fiber, 7-11g sugars, 3-4g protein.
5. Emerald Almonds 100 Calorie Pack - Nuts contain protein, vitamins, minerals and the healthy unsaturated fat your body needs! And in 100 calorie packs it’s easy to get your nutrients without going overboard on the calories. The healthy fat and essential protein will help stabilize blood sugar and keep you satisfied until your next meal! (Stick to the all natural varieties and avoid the flavored ones, like the cocoa-dusted almonds which contain sucralose.)
Other healthy snacks include pieces of fruit, hummus, vegetables, whole grain pretzels, string cheese, and cottage cheese. Just remember to keep the portion size under control, avoid added sugars, and make sure it includes protein, fiber, and/or healthy fats!