KFC has been ordered to pay $8.3 million to the family of a young Australian girl who suffered brain damage after eating a Chicken Twister from the fast food chain.
According to reports, Monika Samaan was just seven years old when she got salmonella poisoning after eating the chicken back in 2005. She was in a coma for six months and left with spastic quadriplegia and severe brain damage. The family also revealed during the trial that the girl’s father, mother, and brother also required hospitalization from sharing her Twister.
Last week, New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman ruled “KFC has breached its duty of care to the young girl”. On Friday, the judge ordered the fast food giant to pay AU$8 million plus the family’s legal costs, according to Fox News.
“Monika’s severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family,” George Vlahakis, the family’s lawyer, said in a statement. “Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika’s younger siblings.
“The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent.”
The family is happy with the court’s ruling and looking forward to moving on. However, the battle may not be over; KFC indicated it will appeal the court’s ruling.
“We believe the evidence showed KFC did not cause this tragedy and, after reviewing the judgment and seeking further advice from our lawyers, we have decided to appeal Justice Rothman’s decision,” the firm said in a statement.