(PCM) An eye-opening article was recently featured on Gizmodo.com about just what can happen to your body if you consume too many energy drinks on regular basis. A 50-year old male construction worker openly admitted to consuming around four to five energy drinks every day for a period of three weeks as a way to boost his energy level on the job. The rest of the man’s diet remained the same. He eventually ended up at the emergency room with dark colored urine, abdominal pains and jaundiced skin.
The culprit? Consuming too many energy drinks in a short time period gave his man a life-threatening case of hepatitis. He initially believed he had come down with a case of the flu, however when a biopsy was done on his liver it tested positive for hepatitis C. The doctors believe that the hepatitis C was brought on by all of the Vitamin B3, also known as niacin, that the man was consuming on daily basis. It seems that each energy drink contains about 40mg of niacin per serving.
Doctor’s hope that this man’s case will heed warning to other energy drink enthusiasts, as they said in their report “As the energy drink market continues to rapidly expand, consumers should be aware of the potential risks of their various ingredients. Vitamins and nutrients, such as niacin are present in quantities that greatly exceed the recommended daily intake, lending to their high risk for harmful accumulation and toxicity.”
It is not hard to believe that consuming too many energy drinks can lead to some pretty significant health issues. In this particular case the man is fully recovered, however in the future others many not end up some lucky!